Shared follow-up care is provided in line with the recommended schedule for follow-up visits for early breast cancer.
What does shared follow-up care involve?
- An initial specialist consultation on entering follow-up care three months after the end of active treatment
- Follow-up appointments shared between the specialist and GP in the first five years following completion of active treatment
- Mammography every 12 months (first mammogram 12 months after diagnosis)
- Transfer of care to the GP after five years completion of active treatment, with the GP responsible for all care, and annual mammograms conducted in private or public imaging centres.
Find out more about:
- Recommendations for follow-up of women with early breast cancer (Cancer Australia, 2011)