People who live outside a major city may need to travel to see a specialist surgeon, radiation oncologist or medical oncologist. You may be able to get help with the cost of travel and accommodation needed for treatment. Each state and territory has a government-funded scheme to help patients who have to travel long distances to obtain specialist treatment that is not available locally, for example:

  • Interstate Patients Transport and Accommodation Service, ACT
  • Transport for Health – Isolated Patient Transport and Accommodation Assistance Scheme, NSW
  • Patient-Assisted Travel Scheme, Western Australia.

Depending on a person’s individual situation and where they live, assistance with childcare, meals and general home help may also be available. Some people may be eligible for a sickness allowance while having treatment.

Sources of information about financial and practical help include: