- Medical Services Advisory Committee. Clinical Utility Card for heritable mutations which increase risk in breast and/or ovarian cancer. 2015 [May 2017; Available from: http://msac.gov.au/internet/msac/publishing.nsf/Content/D3E96917F7B2253BCA25801000123C2E/$File/1411.1_CUC-BreastOvarianCancerGeneticTesting.pdf.]
- eviQ. Genetic Testing for Heritable Mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 Genes. Literature Search tab. 2017 [Available from: https://www.eviq.org.au/Protocol/tabid/66/categoryid/440/id/620/Genetic+Testing+for+Heritable+Mutations+in+the+BRCA1+and+BRCA2+Genes.aspx.]
- Cancer Australia. Ovarian cancer statistics 2017 [Available from: https://ovarian-cancer.canceraustralia.gov.au/statistics.]
- Rosen DG, Yang G, Liu G, et al. Ovarian cancer: pathology, biology, and disease models. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2009;14:2089-102.
- Lancaster JM, Powell CB, Chen LM, et al. Society of Gynecologic Oncology statement on risk assessment for inherited gynecologic cancer predispositions. Gynecol Oncol. 2015;136(1):3-7.
- Vergote I, Banerjee S, Gerdes AM, et al. Current perspectives on recommendations for BRCA genetic testing in ovarian cancer patients. Eur J Cancer. 2016;69:127-34.
- Alsop K, Fereday S, Meldrum C, et al. BRCA mutation frequency and patterns of treatment response in BRCA mutation-positive women with ovarian cancer: a report from the Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Group. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(21):2654-63.
- Trainer AH, Meiser B, Watts K, et al. Moving toward personalized medicine: treatment-focused genetic testing of women newly diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010;20(5):704-16.
- Arts-de Jong M, de Bock GH, van Asperen CJ, et al. Germline BRCA1/2 mutation testing is indicated in every patient with epithelial ovarian cancer: A systematic review. Eur J Cancer. 2016;61:137-45.
- Norquist BM, Harrell MI, Brady MF, et al. Inherited Mutations in Women With Ovarian Carcinoma. JAMA Oncol. 2016;2(4):482-90.
- Vicus D, Finch A, Cass I, et al. Prevalence of BRCA1 and BRCA2 germ line mutations among women with carcinoma of the fallopian tube. Gynecol Oncol. 2010;118(3):299-302.
- George A, Riddell D, Seal S, et al. Implementing rapid, robust, cost-effective, patient-centred, routine genetic testing in ovarian cancer patients. Sci Rep. 2016;6:29506.
- Malander S, Ridderheim M, Masback A, et al. One in 10 ovarian cancer patients carry germ line BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations: results of a prospective study in Southern Sweden. Eur J Cancer. 2004;40(3):422-8.
- Plaskocinska I, Shipman H, Drummond J, et al. New paradigms for BRCA1/BRCA2 testing in women with ovarian cancer: results of the Genetic Testing in Epithelial Ovarian Cancer (GTEOC) study. J Med Genet. 2016;53(10):655-61.
- Walsh T, Casadei S, Lee MK, et al. Mutations in 12 genes for inherited ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal carcinoma identified by massively parallel sequencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108(44):18032-7.
- Bahar AY, Taylor PJ, Andrews L, et al. The frequency of founder mutations in the BRCA1, BRCA2, and APC genes in Australian Ashkenazi Jews: implications for the generality of U.S. population data. Cancer. 2001;92(2):440-5.
- Risch HA, McLaughlin JR, Cole DE, et al. Population BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation frequencies and cancer penetrances: a kin-cohort study in Ontario, Canada. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98(23):1694-706.
- Janavicius R. Founder BRCA1/2 mutations in the Europe: implications for hereditary breast-ovarian cancer prevention and control. EPMA J. 2010;1(3):397-412.
- Amir E, Freedman OC, Seruga B, et al. Assessing women at high risk of breast cancer: a review of risk assessment models. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102(10):680-91.
- Antoniou AC, Hardy R, Walker L, et al. Predicting the likelihood of carrying a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation: validation of BOADICEA, BRCAPRO, IBIS, Myriad and the Manchester scoring system using data from UK genetics clinics. J Med Genet. 2008;45(7):425-31.
- Evans DG, Harkness EF, Plaskocinska I, et al. Pathology update to the Manchester Scoring System based on testing in over 4000 families. J Med Genet. 2017;doi: 10.1136/jmedgenet-2017-104584. [Epub ahead of print].
- Committee on Practice Bulletins-Gynecology, and the Society of Gynecologic Oncology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 147: Lynch syndrome. Obstet Gynecol. 2014;124(5):1042-54.
- eviQ. Cancer Treatments Online. Referral guidelines for ovarian cancer risk assessment and consideration of genetic testing. 2016 [cited 2017. Available from: https://www.eviq.org.au/Protocol/tabid/66/id/1905/Default.aspx?popup=1.]
- Graffeo R, Livraghi L, Pagani O, et al. Time to incorporate germline multigene panel testing into breast and ovarian cancer patient care. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016;160(3):393-410.
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology. SGO Clinical Practice Statement: Next Generation Cancer Gene Panels Versus Gene by Gene Testing 2014 [Available from: https://www.sgo.org/clinical-practice/guidelines/next-generation-cancer-gene-panels-versus-gene-by-gene-testing/.]
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN Clinical practice guidelines in Oncology. Genetic/familial high-risk assessment: Breast and Ovarian. Ver 2.2017 – December 2016 2016 [Available from: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/genetics_screening.pdf.]
- Hoogerbrugge N, Jongmans MC. Finding all BRCA pathogenic mutation carriers: best practice models. Eur J Hum Genet. 2016;24 Suppl 1:S19-26.
- Pinto C, Bella MA, Capoluongo E, et al. Recommendations for the implementation of BRCA testing in the care and treatment pathways of ovarian cancer patients. Future Oncol. 2016;12(18):2071-5.
- George A, Kaye S, Banerjee S. Delivering widespread BRCA testing and PARP inhibition to patients with ovarian cancer. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2017; 14(5):284-296.
- Ledermann JA, Harter P, Gourley C, et al. Overall survival in patients with platinum-sensitive recurrent serous ovarian cancer receiving olaparib maintenance monotherapy: an updated analysis from a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2016;17(11):1579-89.
- Mirza MR, Monk BJ, Herrstedt J, et al. Niraparib Maintenance Therapy in Platinum-Sensitive, Recurrent Ovarian Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2016;375(22):2154-64.
- Suthers GK. Cancer risks for Australian women with a BRCA1 or a BRCA2 mutation. ANZ J Surg. 2007;77(5):314-9.
- Cancer Australia. Advice about familial aspects of breast cancer and epithelial ovarian cancer. 2010 [Available from: https://canceraustralia.gov.au/publications-and-resources/cancer-australia-publications/advice-about-familial-aspects-breast-cancer-and-epithelial-ovarian-cancer.]
- Cancer Australia. Early detection of breast cancer. 2015 [Available from: https://canceraustralia.gov.au/publications-and-resources/position-statements/early-detection-breast-cancer.]
- Cancer Australia. Surveillance of women at high or potentially high risk of ovarian cancer. 2009 [Available from: https://canceraustralia.gov.au/publications-and-resources/position-statements/surveillance-women-high-or-potentially-high-risk-ovarian-cancer.]
- Cancer Australia. Recommendations for management of women at high risk of ovarian cancer 2011 [Available from: https://canceraustralia.gov.au/publications-and-resources/clinical-practice-guidelines/recommendations-management-women-high-risk-ovarian-cancer.]
- Kentwell M, Dow E, Antill Y, et al. Mainstreaming cancer genetics: A model integrating germline BRCA testing into routine ovarian cancer clinics. Gynecol Oncol. 2017; 145(1):130-136.
Cancer Australia was established by the Australian Government in 2006 to benefit all Australians affected by cancer, and their families and carers. Cancer Australia aims to reduce the impact of cancer, address disparities and improve outcomes for people affected by cancer by leading and coordinating national, evidence-based interventions across the continuum of care.
If you would like an interpreter to help you understand any information on this website, please call TIS National on 131 450 and ask them to call Cancer Australia on 02 9357 9400. Our business hours are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Freecall 1800 624 973
+61 2 9357 9400
Locked Bag 3, Strawberry Hills