Government-assisted travel schemes


Women who need to have treatment in a hospital far away from home, may be able to get help with the cost of accommodation and travel.Each State and Territory has a government-funded scheme to help patients who have to travel long distances to obtain specialist treatment that is not available locally. The names for these schemes vary but may include:

  • Patient-Assisted Travel Scheme (PATS) – WA
  • Transport for Health – Isolated Patient Transport and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS) – NSW
  • Interstate Patients Transport and Accommodation Service (IPTAS) – ACT.

Depending on a woman’s individual situation and where she lives, assistance with childcare, meals and general home help may also be available. Some women may be eligible for a sickness allowance while having treatment.

Where to find more information

Sources of information about financial and practical help include: