Oesophageal cancer is slow growing, and there may be no symptoms in the early stages.
Symptoms can include:
- difficulty swallowing or pain when swallowing
- a feeling of choking when swallowing
- heartburn or reflux that doesn't go away
- discomfort in the upper abdomen
- unexplained weight loss or lack of appetite
- unexplained tiredness
- vomiting blood
- black or bloody stools
The symptoms of oesophageal cancer are similar to those for many other conditions. If you have any of these symptoms, they are unusual for you and they persist, you should talk to your doctor.